Close Reading Packs Tips
Packs for Teaching 21st Century Skills
Help students think critically to uncover layers of meaning within a text, deepen their comprehension, and build 21st century skills as they read related passages and collaborate on answering an overarching Key Question.
Why Close Reading Packs
Close reading requires students to analyze, evaluate, and think critically about a given text.
Close Reading Packs combine close reading skills with collaboration and communication skills to help students answer a Key Question, giving you a powerful tool to meet rigorous 21st century standards.
How to Use Close Reading Packs
- Passages enable students to practice close reading on cross-curricular topics in individual and group work settings.
- Encourage students to apply their learning with the Connecting Passage.
Student Response Sheet
- Guide students to record evidence needed to answer the Key Question.
- Use the Teaching Tips to help lead discussion and address important skills such as comprehension, authorís craft, and critical thinking.
- Guide student note-taking and teach re-reading skills and strategies to help students answer Key Questions and meet Common Core State Standards.