Spanish Comprehension Skill Packs How-To
Short Passages to Model and Practice Comprehension Skills
Give students direct and explicit instruction on key comprehension skills with Comprehension Skill Packs. Each lesson plan follows the teach, practice, and apply instructional approach to support students as they build meaning from texts.
Why Spanish Comprehension Skill Packs
Students need direct and explicit instruction to know when and how comprehension skills and strategies should be used. Spanish Comprehension Skill Packs deliver opportunities for repeated practice until these skills become automatic, enabling strategic, adaptable readers who can build meaning from text.
How to Use Spanish Comprehension Skill Packs
Every grade level includes a variety of packs, each containing a lesson plan and fiction or nonfiction grade-level passages in printable, projectable, and assignable formats.
- Introduce the pack’s target comprehension skill by modeling it in whole-class or small-group settings using projectable passages and tools.
- Have students work in pairs to complete the Practice Passage activity.
- Use the Independent Practice Passages to allow students to work on their own. Students can then move on to extension activities, such as Leveled Books and Graphic Organizers that focus on the same comprehension skill.
- Follow the teaching guide for tips to teach the targeted comprehension skill, including a writing application using the Write and Share activities.
- Track student progress in the Student Activity and Assignment Reports. Each Practice Passage and Independent Practice Passage can be assigned to students and completed online in the Kids A-Z student area.
Digital and Assignable Activities
Each Practice Passage and Independent Practice Passage can be assigned to students, which they complete online in the The Kids A-Z student portal. Use the online Activity and Skill Reports to track student progress.
Resources Within Each Comprehension Skill Pack
- Model Passage
- Practice Passage
- Independent Practice Passages
- Assignable Activities
- Teacher Lesson Plan with Passage Answer Keys