ELL Vocabulary Book Series Tips
The ELL Vocabulary Books are designed with best practices for teaching English language learners of all ages and language proficiency levels in mind. With an emphasis on content-based themes, the ELL Vocabulary Books and resources develop students' social and academic language.
Why Use ELL Vocabulary Book Series
- Engaging, content-based themes emphasize academic and social language.
- Patterned text encourages and invites student participation.
- Vocabulary Cards and multiple activities provide for recurring review and practice of featured words.
- Activity pages help reinforce and assess students' understanding of featured words in different contexts.
- Lesson plan scaffolds vocabulary development and supports oral and written application of vocabulary words within critical thinking contexts.
How to Use ELL Vocabulary Book Series
Vocabulary words are reinforced through engaging images, patterned text, and structured activities, including matching, grouping, sorting, and cloze. Higher order thinking skills are promoted through dialogue frames and differentiated writing activities. Incorporating vocabulary games into instruction is an engaging way to develop and deepen studentsí vocabulary knowledge and acquisition.
Resources that accompany each ELL Vocabulary Book
- Teacher Lesson Plan
- Vocabulary Cards (Picture with Word Cards, Picture-Only Cards, Word-Only Cards, Category Cards)
- Matching Activity Sheet
- Cloze Activity Sheet
- Vocabulary Games Guide