British English Leveled Books
Reading A-Z Plus provides rich, high-quality printable, projectable, and electronic books. This British-English book collection includes texts at 29 levels that progressively increase in difficulty to help students improve comprehension and fluency. Students can read texts at their level and in their areas of interest to get the practice they need to become better, more confident readers.
Why Use Raz-Plus Leveled Books
Each leveled book has been carefully leveled using stringent guidelines and the proprietary, best-in-class Learning A-Z Text Leveling System to ensure accuracy and consistency.
The range of fiction and nonfiction text types ensure that students can find topics that appeal to them while also connecting literacy and content-area instruction.
How to Use Leveled Books
There can be a broad range of reading ability within any group of students. The guided reading, or leveled reading, instructional approach allows teachers to place students into small groups and provide each group with developmentally appropriate texts.Leveled Book Support Resources include lesson plans, worksheets, discussion cards, and comprehension Quick Check quizzes to support and guide instruction.
Some leveled books are also supported by fluency practice passages, reader's theater scripts, a writer's response activity, a literature circle journal, or might be part of a paired book set or other collection. ALL resources that support a book can be found on its homepage.
The eBooks and eQuizzes provide opportunities for independent practice following each guided reading session or anytime a student has access to the Internet through a computer or tablet.
- Kids A-Z management tools allow teachers to provide custom assignments that meet specific student needs.
- Reading Room access through Kids A-Z provides motivation to read a wide variety of books that students can choose from based on their interests.
Leveled Book Formats
Raz-Plus leveled books come in different formats to meet independent, small-group, and whole-class objectives.
Printable Books can be used in class or sent home for practice. Color, black and white, single-sided, and double-sided printed options are available.
Projectable Books can be used with digital projectors and interactive white boards. Projectable Book Tips explain how to reach objectives for fluency, vocabulary, comprehension, grammar, and more using the tools provided. Projectable Book Tips guide educators to meet literacy goals for fluency, vocabulary, comprehension, grammar, and more.
Read eBooks allow students to read silently, whisper read, or record their reading using a headset or a computer's microphone and our built-in recording tools. Students can send these practice recordings to your Kids A-Z In Basket so you can check their fluency progress. You can also download and save the recordings to your computer as MP3 audio files.
Multilevel Books allow students who read at different levels to enjoy the same book. Group students according to skill level, but introduce comprehension skills and reading strategies to the whole class.
Pocketbooks are the ideal size for students to take home for extra practice.
Wordless books let students use their imaginations by letting them tell their own stories with a book's illustrations. The Wordless books can also support retellings of the original text from levels aa–J. The Wordless Book Lessons provide suggested skills and strategies.
Leveled Book Support Resources
Leveled Book Lessons
- Leveled Book Lessons combine the content of the Guided Reading Lesson and the Common Core Supplement.
- The Focus Question in the book and in the lesson provides the opportunity for deeper understanding of the text while emphasizing high-order thinking.
- A concise three-page lesson guides the teacher through instruction
- Students use reading strategies and comprehension skills before, during, and after they read.
- Text-dependent questions require students to cite evidence from one or more sections of the text to formulate responses.
- Extension activities build phonological awareness, phonics, and grammar and mechanics skills.
- Book connection activities provide cross-curricular opportunities in writing, art, math, science, or social studies.
Guided Reading Lessons
- A multiple-page lesson accompanies each leveled book.
- Suggested strategies introduce the book and build background before reading.
- Reading Strategies and Comprehension Skills support students while they read.
- Questions promote after-reading discussions and quick skill-lessons build language arts skills, including phonological awareness, phonics, high-frequency words, word structure and meaning, and grammar and mechanics.
- Extension activities link to writing and other curriculum areas, such as math, science, and social studies.
- Comprehension and other literacy skills are supported by up to four worksheets with each lesson.
- Graphic organizer worksheets engage students in the reading process.
Common Core Supplement
The Common Core Supplement plans provide additional focused instructional content to the regular guided reading lessons. These plans support teachers in meeting objectives identified in the Common Core State Standards, such as: academic vocabulary, text-dependent questions, and a constructed response to reading based on a key question. Text-dependent questions require students to cite evidence from the text and are constructed at three levels of analysis:
- Level 1: Students construct an answer using evidence from one place within the text.
- Level 2: Students construct an answer using evidence from several places within the text.
- Level 3: Students construct an answer using evidence from both the text and experience, requiring an inference or conclusion to be made.
Quick Checks for Assessing Leveled Book Comprehension
Available in printable and projectable format, the Comprehension Quick Check quizzes provide text-dependent questions for an easy way to assess student understanding.
- Multiple-choice questions cover a range of cognitive rigor and depth of knowledge.
- Quizzes at Level C and above also include at least one extended or constructed response question. These questions require students to write an answer to an open-ended question using sound reasoning. The questions allow teachers to measure skills that are difficult to assess with multiple-choice questions.
- Quick Check Comprehension Quizzes accompany every leveled book from Level A to Level Z2 and most of the serial books.
Discussion Cards support critical thinking, collaboration, and discussion among small groups or entire classes. Many discussion questions focus on text-dependent questions.
Each discussion card is tagged with the specific reading skill it targets. These include such skills as:
- Compare and contrast
- Cause and effect
- Make inferences/draw conclusions
- Analyze and evaluate
Uk Translated Books and Leveling
Raz-Plus English leveled books have been carefully written using stringent guidelines and the proprietary, best-in-class Leveling System to ensure accuracy and consistency.
Uk translators closely review the English Leveling Criteria as part of the translations process, but some books might seem easier or more difficult in Uk than their English level specifies.
Teachers can use the English levels on the Uk books as a reference point, but should use their professional knowledge when determining which Uk Translated Leveled Books are the best fit for individual students.
Uk Translated Leveled Book Lesson Ideas
Each guided reading session takes about 15 to 20 minutes and emphasizes higher-order thinking skills while providing the opportunity for deeper understanding of the text.
Guided reading begins with an introduction of the book and discussion to build background.
Students are placed in similar-ability groups and given developmentally appropriate books to read. The teacher monitors and guides each student's progress and reading as needed.
Discussion focuses on text-dependent questions which require students to cite evidence from one or more sections of the text to formulate responses.
The English lesson plan can provide ideas or support during instruction of the Uk book.