High-Frequency Word Packs
Each of the high-frequency lesson packs provide all the materials needed for approximately 30 minutes of instruction on the top 69 high-frequency words. Each pack contains a lesson page for the tutor, a high-frequency word flashcard template, a worksheet, a high-frequency word book, and a game.
Why Use High-Frequency Word Packs
Typically, students go through specific stages of development as they progress in reading proficiency. A relatively small number of words in the English language are used repeatedly in print. In fact, about 100 words make up 50 percent of the words we read, according to research. These are high-frequency words or sight words. Many of the high-frequency words are not decodable, and they must be memorized by sight if the student is to become a confident reader.
How to Use High-Frequency Word Packs
Use this tutor handout for instructional tips on teaching high-frequency words.
- Print, assemble, and train the tutors on the use of each pack.
- Instructions contained in each pack have been specifically written for tutors from varying backgrounds and with varying experience working with students.
- Estimated time allotments are provided for each lesson step; tutors should follow the lesson sequence as outlined in each lesson plan.
- Specific resources used for each step are identified next to the instructions.
Other Resources for Informational Texts
- Shared Reading nonfiction books ensure early readers work with informational texts.
- Our Close Reading Packs contain a large selection of informational text to support reading multiple, short texts closely.
- Visual Devices feature explicit instruction on text elements, such as graphs, charts, maps, schedules, or other visual texts.
- Content Area Reading organizes leveled books into featured groups of common content area topics.