Poetry Books, Nursery Rhymes, & Song Books
Build Literacy Skills While Inspiring a Love of Language
Use this collection of Poetry Books, Nursery Rhymes, and Song Books with students of all stages of fluency. Emergent readers will enjoy the simple stories while learning multiple literacy skills, including syllables, rhythm, and rhyme. Song Books add melody and beat to help engage students further. Fluent readers will enjoy exploring language and deeper meaning within the poems. For additional practice, use the worksheets provided or the Poetry Writing Lessons.
Top Five Reasons Why Students Should Study Poetry
- Poetry supports the development of the building blocks of literacy as defined in Put Reading First and No Child Left Behind.
- Poetry supports the development of the traits of good writing and addresses needs to raise the standards for writing.
- Poetry is an excellent venue to teach and reinforce discrete grammar and vocabulary skills.
- Poetry provides a focus for reading and writing, and helps students learn how to be concise.
- Poetry supports components defined in brain research, such as the importance of searching for patterns, and is an acceptable way for students to express emotions and feelings.