Content Area Reading
Save valuable instructional time by combining content-area and literacy instruction with these handpicked collections of leveled books. Each category is arranged into relevant topics that contain instructionally focused groups of books at a range of levels to aid students as they learn to read and read to learn.
Why Use Content Area Reading
The Content Area Reading collections give teachers the resources for comprehensive literacy instruction across subjects.
The collections contain both informational texts and literature about the topics to encourage learning about content through a variety of text types.
By reading different text types on a variety of academic topics at a range of complexity, students are able to develop the fluency, comprehension, and vocabulary necessary to read and understand the concepts and content taught in today's classrooms. Our vast collection of resources provides opportunities for practicing skills expected on new standardized tests.
How to Use Genre Collection
Each content area contains a variety of high-interest topics.
- Select a topic within a content area based on your current unit of study and learning objectives.
- Identify books at reading levels appropriate for your students.
- Explore informational text and literature within a topic to build both students' content knowledge and exposure to different text types.
- Compare books about a specific topic to increase students' critical thinking skills.
Other Common Core Resources
- Support an array of Foundational Skills with resources for Phonological Awareness, Alphabet, Phonics, High-Frequency Words, and Fluency
- Shared Reading Books and lessons teach foundational skills, including concepts of print. They also help our youngest learners begin reading text more closely. Each five-day lesson plan includes a section devoted to text-dependent questions. A second projectable version of each book includes character prompts. The characters ask the reader to complete tasks and interact with the book.
- Writer's Responses for select titles from levels E-Z encourage students to reflect on the deeper meaning of each book read. Prompts support writing that applies, synthesizes, or evaluates a book's enduring understanding.
- Graphic organizers for any text support close reading instruction and practice.
Improve Academic Vocabulary
Vocabulary A-Z offers more than 500 Common Core Academic Vocabulary words organized by grade level. Create customized Academic Vocabulary lessons to support your content area curriculum.