No matter where you are on Earth, sports are popular among children and adults alike. The Spectacular Sports collection of Leveled Books from the Themed Nonfiction Series explores some of the world’s most popular games, including their history, rules, and famous players. Vibrant posters, Comprehension Quizzes, and Activity Sheets provide additional opportunities to engage students and measure their understanding.
Why Use Spectacular Sports
The Spectacular Sports collection provides highly engaging topics at a variety of reading levels to help students learn about a game they already love, or discover something new. Readers will enjoy exploring the history of each sport in the collection as well as learning about the equipment, rules, and interesting facts.
At each grade range you will find support resources for the collection:
- Teaching Tips
- Activity Sheets
Each title is accompanied by book-specific support resources as well:
- A Focus Question to engage students in the reading process (on the title page)
- Connections activities that allow readers to explore beyond the book in subjects such as science, writing, art, and more (on the back cover)
- Comprehension Quiz
- Two Fun Facts Posters, one focused on where the sport is played and another on the equipment used
How to Use Spectacular Sports
The variety of resources available in the series allows for flexibility in your instructional approach.
- Follow suggestions in the Teaching Tips for classroom activities using Activity Sheets.
- Use the Comprehension Quizzes to check for understanding.
- Provide a book at an appropriate level for independent reading or guided reading instruction.
- Review the Fun Facts Posters to get students excited to learn about the sports.
- Improve comprehension and take readers beyond the text by having them do the Connections activities on the back cover of each book.
- Have students choose a topic related to the collection's theme to write about and use the books from the collection as models.
- Assign a research project related to one of the books in the collection.